[Buddha-l] Pure Conversation vs koan

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jul 30 13:33:35 MDT 2007

On Monday 30 July 2007 12:58, curt wrote:

> I recently read (somewhere....) that Indian philosophers have made use
> of dialog formats not unlike those of Plato (and other Greeks). Does
> anyone know if this is true (sorry if this is a dumb and/or obvious
> question)?

Not only philosophers but all writers of learned treatises tended to set up
their treatises as a kind of dialogue between the writer and an imaginary
interlocutor or set of interlocutors. Unlike a modern script for a play, the
characters are not identified, but there are words and phrases that indicate
a change of speaker. Commentators usually try to identify the interlocutor.
So in modern translations of Sanskrit texts, it is common for translators to
put the probable interlocutor in square brackets. So you might find a
translation looking something like this:

[Follower of Yoga school]: God is used as an inspirational aid to the yogin.
[Buddhist;] God does not exist, and a non-existent being cannot inspire.
[Follower of Yoga school]: The very idea of God can inspire, even if the idea
does not correspond to a reality.
[Buddhist]: A false idea leads only to delusion, not to inspiration.

A more literal rendering of the text of which that might be a translation
would look something like this:

Some say that God is used as an inspiration aid to the yogin. We say that God
does not exist, and a non-existent being canniot inspire. Others say that the
very idea of God can inspire, even if the idea does not correspond to a
reality. We say that a false idea leads only to delusion, not to inspiration.

--
Richard