[Buddha-l] Re: The Dalai Lama on Self-Loathing

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 1 20:30:18 MDT 2007

Joanna et al.,

I've read Roland's "self" book and found it well-meaning but
frustratingly loose on detail and substantiation. Still, a provocative
read. But I would strongly second Joanna's recommendation of Sudhir
Kakar's work. I've read several of his books and taken a course from
him when he was guest professor at Chicago. A wonderful writer as well
as a leading thinker on Indian psychology. I would be very careful
about generalizing on "Indian" psychology--to say nothing of "Asian"
psychology, which I believe is a term without a referent; the only
person I've been able to appreciate in that act is Kakar (partially
because he'll then turn around and nuance his position with
ethnographic data).

Franz