[Buddha-l] Protestant Buddhists

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jan 29 13:26:31 MST 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 11:43, James A Stroble wrote:

> > If
> > someone else also had a dream that a person was ordained by the Buddha,
> > then the ordination was considered valid, provided the person lived as a
> > monk and followed all the vinaya rules.
>
> Hmm, sounds more Shamanistic than Protestant!  Many Japanese new religions
> (some quasi-buddhist) seem to get their start this way.

Perhaps we should follow Joy Vriens' terminology. He reminds us that mysticism
often involves an unmediated spirituality. A preacher who "gathers a
congregation" is said to have a direct infusion of grace (charisma) that
requires no sacrament as a mediating agent. So if one could acquire the grace
of authority without the mediation of a dream, that would be mystical in the
sense that Joy uses the word. Even more mystical, of course, would be the
congregation that worships together without any preacher at all. The very
idea of such a congregation makes me quake.

> And much preferable to claiming authority through nocturnal emissions.
> (Sorry, can't help myself)

If you had managed to resist the temptation to articulate that association, I
would have regarded your restraint as an example of nocturnal omission.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy