[Buddha-l] Protestant Buddhists (was Memes amd me)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sun Jan 28 17:24:40 MST 2007

On Sunday 28 January 2007 17:08, curt wrote:

> One of my original reasons for starting this thread was to point out
> that those who "think with" this term "protestant buddhism" - should
> "think about" it a little more carefully. There has been lots of tisk
> tisking on this list about some things going on in Sri Lanka. Once again
> I will point out that Sri Lankan Buddhism is the best example we have of
> something that can be reasonably called "protestant buddhism".

This is written with all the carelessness I have come to expect of you, Curt.
Surely it is only a relatively small movement within Sri Lankan Buddhism that
is an example of what Richard Gombrich called Protestant Buddhism. And the
features of Sri Lankan Buddhism that people tend to criticize are hardly the
features manifested by the movements that Gombrich characterized as being
Protestant. Your plea to us to think more carefully might be more effective
if your plea exhibited the carefulness it so earnestly recommends.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy