[Buddha-l] How to help the Dharma grow in the USA

d f tweney dylan at tweney.com
Wed Jan 3 12:27:42 MST 2007

Drumming is fun. People like drumming. What's non-Buddhist about it? Are
there sutras that prohibit drumming, for laypeople or for monks? Our local
Japanese Buddhist church has a Taiko drumming group. I love listening to
them and I bet it's a lot of fun to play in it, too.

In fact, think Buddhist gatherings might attract more people if there was
some music and singing. The few Buddhist gatherings I've been to have been
about as exciting as a Unitarian service, but with more silence. There is
a time for quiet meditation. But there is also a time for people to get
together and have fun and build a community of common purpose. For that,
music is a great facilitator. I think perhaps Richard was being ironic
when he proposed drumming for the Dharma but maybe someone should take
this seriously.

And video games don't have to be violent. I'm now playing Okami, a game
set in ancient Japan in which you play a benevolent white wolf deity who
has to rid the countryside of evil spirits, help villagers, and return
life and growing things to a blasted landscape. In format, this game is
not that different from Grand Theft Auto. But in spirit, it's completely
different. It may be silly and fantastical, but it's not necrophilic.

Anyway, there are other good ways to spread the dharma too:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2007/01/03/MNG73NC2QC1.DTL

Priest brings Zen to S.F.'s neediest souls
Buddhist teaches meditation, holds memorials for homeless

Justin Berton, Chronicle Staff Writer

Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Inside the community room of the Raman Hotel, a single-room occupancy
hotel at Howard and Sixth streets, Jana Drakka set up a makeshift altar
for a tenant named Guillermo who had died a week earlier.

"Memo," as his fellow residents and caseworkers knew him, was a
76-year-old World War II veteran as well as an alcoholic who had
ricocheted among the city's streets and homeless shelters.

He had spent most of his last three years at the Raman, one of city's
low-rent SROs, and the 16 people who had gathered at his memorial
reflected the tail end of his life: eight tenants from the Raman and eight
social workers who had met him at rehab clinics, nursing facilities and a
halfway house for parolees on the mend -- but not a family member in
sight.

At the altar, Drakka, an ordained Buddhist priest, dressed in a layered
kamboa, dropped pear incense onto a piece of charcoal and offered a
prayer.

"Memo," she said in her lithe Scottish accent, "we're here to give you a
proper send-off."

In the past three years, Drakka has performed about 100 such memorials
inside SROs in the Mission, Tenderloin and South of Market districts. No
one keeps an official count of how many people die inside the estimated
500 hotels each year, said Sam Dodge, director of the Central City SRO
Collaborative, but living conditions there are often stressful and
uniquely fit for death. The majority of the 30,000 residents are elderly
and without health insurance, Dodge said; drug addicts, who often hole up
in the cheap rooms, are more likely to overdose in an SRO than anywhere
else in the city. In the past two months alone, at least nine people have
died in Mission District hotels, said Christina Olague, coordinator of the
Mission SRO Collaborative.

The caseload can keep Drakka busy. At 54, the priest has become the
unofficial on-call chaplain to San Francisco's SRO constituency. In
addition to the memorials, she conducts weekly meditation groups at five
locations in what's believed to be the nation's first meditation network
aimed directly at a homeless population.

H: dylan at tweney.com, 650-483-2896, dylan.tweney.com
W: dylan_tweney at ziffdavis.com, 415-547-8468, www.pcmagcast.com