[Buddha-l] How to help the Dharma grow in the USA

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Jan 3 11:43:30 MST 2007

Re: the CSM article.

Well, I know a guy, my computer guru to be precise,  who joined a rousing
evangelical- services- with- muzak (that's what I call the various dumming
bouts and heavy metal additions to church) outfit when he was pre-21, and
lasted two years in the fold. Now all he does is sport a "Got Jesus?" bumper
sticker.

This country has so lost any semblance of any culture, except for immigrants
who are being dailybrow-beaten to shed theirs, that the Gen-Y (is that the
term used these days for 20-30 somethings) won't last long on this new
route, either. Hollow consumerism, and sham funerals such as we've been
subjected to for the past week since a former fairly untalented president
died, are all we have left. I bet Dubya gets a state funeral when he kicks.
After killing Saddam, now many are feeling guilty because we supported him
for so long and then turned on him.
It's another version of necrophilia, wallowing in guilt and lies after a
funeral.

Media and consumer necrophilia rules the day. The rampant materialism of
this country is simply another form of "necrophilia, love of dead things."
What are most video games about? killing people. What is this country
officially about? killing people. The ahimsa of Buddhism is far from our
shores.

Necrophilia has invaded and now dominates Thailand, only nominally Buddhist
today, as they grab as much as they can of contemporary materialism and
stuff, while evangelicals missionize the people with Jesus. (Some
evangelical churches in the USA today preach that "Jesus WANTS you to make
money. Praise the Lord.")  Last time I was in Chaing Mai I couldn't believe
my eyes: they had a shopping mall with escalators. Reminded me of Buddhism's
levels of hells as people traveled up and down on it while stereos blasted
at top decibels pop songs for the masses. Just like here.
Thus, I predict that when the current younger folks finally get fed up with
mass consumerism and no-culture, they won't turn to religion--any kind
of--but instead will turn to terrorism, as they are now doing in tough
neighborhoods of wasted cities around the global capitalism circuit. It will
just spread.
Joanna