[Buddha-l] Western Buddhism

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 16:31:24 MST 2007

Dear Denizens,

I apologize for replying so late to an old thread, but I have been
offline. I have two comments.

1) A response to Joy's line: "Yet, at the same time, I would say that
whoever is not enamoured with the object of their study doesn't see
it. And 'it' is not necessarily the object of the study." I just want
to express my admiration for not only the importance of this insight,
but the beauty of its expression. The economy of expression here
reminds me of Dogen, and the thought itself is much like a passage
about Master Tiantong in the Record of Yunmen. Ah, if only I could
write sentences so perfect, even in English, let alone in a second or
third language!

2) This issue of practitioners, scholars, and scholar-practitioners
continues to be important for Buddhism all over the world. And the
synergy/conflict of personal involvement in what one studies is a
central debate in contemporary social science and the humanities. The
issue is on the table in Buddhist studies; see, for example, Roger
Jackson and John Makransky's collection, _Buddhist Theology: Critical
Reflections by Contemporary Buddhist Scholars_. In fact, the Journal
of Global Buddhism is looking into doing a themed issue on this topic
and I'm enjoying helping in that preparation.

Good wishes,

Franz