[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 4 01:46:50 MST 2007

Richard comments:

>It strikes me as possible that insight makes one calm and therefore that
>cultivating insight would be sufficient to enable the cultivation of calm and
>therefore bodhi.

Yes. That certainly is the position of the Pali commentaries. And it
seems to me to be in accord with the earlier texts too. And
conversely calm generates insight and therefore cultivating calm can
be sufficient to enable the cultivation of insight and therefore
bodhi.

But the question is what happens after stream-entry. In terms of the
system, I find it difficult to see how one could reach never-return
without previously practising jhaana and I find it difficult to
conceive of reaching arahatship without previously practising insight.

>I agree that there is no need to see a conflict. Indeed, it would be my
>contention that if one cultivates either calm or insight, one gets the other
>one for free. So how could they be in conflict?

I take it that they can be in temporary conflict for a period. So
people generalize from that experience.

On another matter:

Will you be in Atlanta for the 2008 IABS conference ?  If you are, we
might meet for the first time !

Lance