[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Dec 3 16:47:37 MST 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:

> I agree that there is no need to see a conflict. Indeed, it would be my
> contention that if one cultivates either calm or insight, one gets the other
> one for free. So how could they be in conflict?

It seems to me that any idea of cultivating either one, while explicitly
*not* cultivating the other, would (rather obviously) involve the
assumption that they are, in fact, separable.

Therefore anyone who genuinely upholds the inseparability of insight and
calmness will have nothing to do with cultivating just one of them while
rejecting the cultivation of the other. Except possibly as an expedient
teaching to help people who think that one needs to learn how to hop
around on one leg prior to learning how to walk properly.

Curt Steinmetz