[Buddha-l] Rain / Query on Non-Local Consciousness

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 28 22:51:22 MDT 2007

Stephen wrote:

> Another clever Lusthaus ploy !   Whenever I mentioned the meanings of
aama,
> I always gave a range of possibilities ("raw, uncooked, immature,
> unrefined") to show the semantic range.  You are the one who has homed in
on
> "raw" -- I never suggested that either aama or 生 should be translated
thus
> in this case.

It seemed to me, perhaps mistakenly, that you were placing special emphasis
on that sense. My reasons for finding "raw" or "uncooked" as especially
misguided in this case are given in my message to Antonio.

>You have set up a strawman argument and, I expect, wasted a
> lot of your time searching for those passages.

The time was not wasted. What I searched for were occurrences in Buddhist
texts of 生 and 熟 in tandem and/or opposition, and any other occurrence of
生而 in which the 而 formed an integral unit with 生 instead of in its usual
function as a conjunction. I discovered, among other things, how common a
formula 未成熟眾生而成熟之 and minor variations thereof actually is, which
surprised me. And I found no occurrence of 生而 as an integral unit.

Dan Lusthaus