[Buddha-l] (no subject)

mc1 at aol.com mc1 at aol.com
Mon Aug 27 10:27:02 MDT 2007

Dear Joy,

    What a lovely response. Unless you object, I'll read it to my class ... with some
exceptions...

Every text indeed deserves its own appreciation without prejudice
or bias but I'm not sure every text is entitled to its own svabhava without regard to context.
That might not be your exact meaning but it is my motivation - what informed the Buddha's early on?
Didn't Siddhartha conquer one of Mara's onslaughts with the aid of Indra's Vedic crew? He had help and
it helps me to structure teaching with reference to contexts.

That said, I too have learned to be indifferent to influences on a particular text or school of thought but only
as far as my personal spirituality is concerned. I know more about Samkhya and Vedanta than Buddhism,
and do not worry over being called a "pseudo-Buddhist" despite Gaudapada whirling a fire-brand just like
a Sunyavadin.

thanks for the 'not answer' - michael