[Buddha-l] FW: Three year Research Associate, UK, Indian & Buddhist theories of self

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Aug 2 08:06:06 MDT 2007

Franz Metcalf wrote:
>  The field of Buddhism and psychology seems fated to continually
> reinvent the wheel of the two traditions saying much the same thing.
> Where and why would we assume--as so many do--that they'd be saying
> something different? (I mean that question; it's not just rhetorical.
> Our bias to simultaneously assert the near isomorphism of Buddhism and
> psychology and also to assert they have radically disparate views on
> "the self" is strange and wondrous to me.)

Beautifully put. I place a large part of the blame on the publishing
industry - but that's because I am a paranoid leftist and, therefore, I
like to find "profit-motives" lurking behind all evils in the world. My
reasoning being that the publishing industry promotes the most
superficial possible coverage of all subjects, including "serious" ones,
in the interests of increasing revenues.

Most of the rest of blame I place on T.H. Huxley for his successful
life-time campaign to make education more utilitarian - and in
particular to stop wasting valuable time reading lots of old books.

- Curt