[Buddha-l] FW: Three year Research Associate, UK, Indian & Buddhist theories of self

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 17:25:48 MDT 2007

Gang,

Plainly I need to read my Tricycles (my subscription has not yet
lapsed, though my attention has). But I still read buddha-l and can
join the conversation here before I get around to reading Bhikkhu
Thanissaro's article.

Richard wrote

> I think something like a Freudian or Jungian notion of ego is at work
> here. I
> don't think the Freudian notions is reified. It is certainly not
> static and
> unchangeable. As far as I can tell, the only view of self that
> Buddhists
> denied was any notion that depicts the self as static, uncaused,
> unchanging
> and permanent. But what the Buddhists denied is something that no one
> in
> modern times ever affirms. In other words, the Buddhist view has really
> become the standard view in modern thought.

Not only do I agree with this, but I'm frequently surprised by the
difficulty of simply admitting this and moving on. The field of
Buddhism and psychology seems fated to continually reinvent the wheel
of the two traditions saying much the same thing. Where and why would
we assume--as so many do--that they'd be saying something different? (I
mean that question; it's not just rhetorical. Our bias to
simultaneously assert the near isomorphism of Buddhism and psychology
and also to assert they have radically disparate views on "the self" is
strange and wondrous to me.)

A quick correction. Richard wrote,

> What Freud talked about was the unconscious (das
> Unbewüsst), by which he meant psychologically active impulses to
> action of
> which a person is not fully unaware.

I presume you meant to write "not fully aware," Richard, but I think I
prefer the way you in fact did write the thought. When Freud called the
greater part of our psyche das Unbewüsst, he did not mean it was
utterly unavailable/unknown to us. Indeed, constant energy must be
focused on keeping much of the unconscious unconscious. Stop the flow
of that energy and the barrier begins to dissipate--usually to the
good. Even given that constant energy, "the return of the repressed" is
finally inevitable. So, we are, as Richard says, "not fully unaware" of
the unconscious (and the conscious, too).

Franz Metcalf