[Buddha-l] Desire

David Webster david.r.webster at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Apr 24 05:02:35 MDT 2007

dhamma-chanda. used as a compound term in the Sa––ŒnŒtta sutta at S.II.144,
but here Dhamma is being used in the sense of mental phenomena, rather than
as ‘teaching of the Buddha’.[i] The combination of dhamma and chanda is
mainly located in commentarial texts, but we also find it in the Abhidhamma
in the Vibhaºga analysis of sammŒ-padhŒna – right striving or exertion.

See Philosophy of Desire in the Buddhist Pali Canon (Webster, D.)

  _____