[Buddha-l] Squashed Prostrations

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Tue Sep 26 11:38:59 MDT 2006

On Sep 26, 2006, at 10:36 AM, curt wrote:

> This is starting to remind me of an old Zen saying: "squash vines
> entangling squash vines."
> - Curt

This reminds me of some drawings in a by the Japanese Roshi baned
Uchayamma (or something) in a book called Opening the Hand of
Thought. In the first drawing there are a bunch of angry, yelling
squash. In the next drawing the squash are sitting in zazen. In the
third they discover they are all growing from the same vine and have
big smiles.

Pretty stupid thing for a squash to be doing if you ask me. They
apparently didn't realize that squash sit in zazen all the time.
There is nothing else they can do.

Jim Peavler
jmp at peavler.org