[Buddha-l] Buddhism and the "status quo"

Bshmr at aol.com Bshmr at aol.com
Fri Sep 22 17:44:56 MDT 2006

Docents, and associates,

>>[dlusthau]: The discerning, especially discerning Buddhists, look
elsewhere for their heroes.

>[rhayes]: As a Buddhist, I follow the principle: Look at the saying,  not
the speaker.

References to UN-GA speeches are scattered through recent threads,  including
this one. Rather than depend on the Commentator and Commentaries,  reading
the originals has been instructive, as our Eldest has  pointed out.

All of the speeches opening the 61st session of the United Nations General
Assembly are publicly available. Video, as well as transcripts (in PDF form),
in  the original tongue and translated are available at
_http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/61/_ (http://www.un.org/webcast/ga/61/)  The  speeches for each country
are organized by day presented; use the Hotlinks in  the webpage Heading.

Of more than a dozen that I have reviewed, only three have overt religious
statements -- two besides Chavez's entertaining half-parody of the USAn Bush;
other nations may have, though neither Palestine nor Lebanon, which are
worthy.

Two were clearly manipulative; most simply assert. Some re-assert .. their
pleas. Most are about their world now.

Other than these, one English language transcript appeared to be literally
type-written on plain paper; most appeared as formal presentations with
letterhead or seal.

I re-discover that another's content can resonate as my own, in contrast to
the doer and the doing which can be only fantasized. [ It seems the Eldest has
 the point. ] Or, put another way, it is the Dharma rather than legions of
preceding messianic enlightened ones.

The net of Indra, Spider Woman, inter-dependency, and all that, not that  one
should care, I will read a few more each day, and believe that I am the
better for doing so. Limits the time studying The Commentaries and choosing a
Master Commentator to think for me. <G>

Richard Basham

PS: Oh, and let those in the 'anti' thread ponder the  'anti-said'.