[Buddha-l] the body in Buddhist Practice

Elihu Smith elihusmith at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 22 12:46:27 MDT 2006

There are some errors in the following (Full message
at end):

"Ta-hui of Tsao-tsung school (the counterpart of
Japanese Soto)  often
attacked seated meditation, and he represent the more
popular view of
buddhist practice before Sung. In fact, Ta-hui call
the silent
illumination (mo-chao/zazen) an heretic view regarding
the authentic
Chan...in these times,  silent illumination was
defended by only a few
people, in example Hung-chih."

Ta-Hui was in the Lin-chi school, a Dharma heir of
Yuan-Wu, not in  the Tsao-Tung school. Interestingly,
Ta-Hui was close to Hung-chih, despite their lineage
and teaching differences. If you look at the
literature, you will see that the "silent
illumination" that Ta-Hui criticizes is a rhetorical
straw man, which he sets up to argue against and to
push his own vision of kung-an practice. Look at
Hung-Chih's work in "Cultivating the Empty Field,"
trans. D. Leighton for more; Peter Gregory's
collections also has more on this. Furthermore,
mo-chao does not equal zazen but is a particular style
of zazen; as noted, mo-chao is not limited to the
narrow definition which Ta-Hui uses in his polemics -
Hung-Cih clarifies this. Zazen is the Japanese for
tso-chan; your mixing this up leads to
misunderstanding in your later comments. If you look
at early Ch'an texts, you will see emphasis on zazen /
tso-chan (from Bodhidharma sitting for "9 years"
onward), and also emphasis on clarifying this so as
not to misunderstand it - Ma-Tzu's dialogue with his
teacher Huai-jang regarding seated meditation is one
example of this (see Case 30 of Zen Comments on the
Mumonkan by Shibayama for one source).

(Interestingly, Dogen has some strong criticism of
Ta-Hui in chapters of his Shobogenzo written at the
end of his life; in fact Ta-Hui also has a text titled
Shobogenzo).

A point about Dogen; he had completed the
Lin-chi/Rinzai training in Japan, and in fact
inherited the Dharma lineage of Lin-chi from Myozen,
Eisai's heir, with whom he travelled to China. In
China, he practiced under Lin-chi masters before
studying with Ru-jing (Tendo Nyojo) with whom he
completed his study and who is the source of his
Tsao-tung/Soto lineage.

To return to the Buddha's words,"In this very body,
six feet in length, with its sense-impressions, its
thoughts and ideas... are the world, the origin of the
world, the cessation of the world, and the Way that
leads to the cessation of the world."

Elihu

Full message below:

Message: 9