[Buddha-l] Buddhism & War

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Sep 20 14:01:41 MDT 2006

On the other hand, HHDL could have refused to recognize China's "claim"
to Tibet and led a resistance movement from exile a la De Gaul. In fact,
the Dalai Lama's older brother, Thubten Jigme Norbu Rinpoche (who was
the Abbot of Tibet's largest monastery prior to '59), continues to call
for full Tibetan independence, as opposed to "autonomy" within the PRC.
Here is a link to an essay on the issue of Tibetan "independence" vs
"autonomy": http://www.rangzen.org/history/views.htm.

It's far from clear that a resistance movement to force the Chinese out
of Tibet would be futile. Ancient Tibetan Buddhist saying: "the bigger
they are, the harder they fall." Tibetans are historically a tough
nomadic people with a strong warrior tradition. At one time they
conquered about half of present day China. In fact, Amdo province, where
the Dalai Lama is from, is part of "greater Tibet" that lies well
outside the official "autonomous zone" of the PRC.

- Curt