[Buddha-l] Buddhism & War

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Sep 20 11:27:18 MDT 2006

> On Wednesday 20 September 2006 08:29, curt wrote:
>
>> The single most important defining characteristic of pacifism is it's
>> rejection of "defensive" violence - including especially defensive wars.

> Richard replied:
> I have spent most of my adult life hanging around people who define
> themselves
> as pacifists, and I have never encountered a position such as the one you
> state.
You seem to have forgotten the role of Mahatma Gandhi in inspiring such
pacifists as Martin Luther King and his movement. Gandhi deplored any kind
of violence including "defensive" violence. He spent years training his
followers in peaceful resistance without violence. Yet, both he and King
were assassinated. Makes one wonder about the value of non-self-defense.

Joanna