[Buddha-l] Buddhism & War

Ngawang Dorje rahula_80 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 16 10:35:00 MDT 2006

Hi,

  It is said that Buddhism have never got involve in war.

  However, I found this passage quoted in a book:

  "The Sri Lankan Buddhist text, the Mahavamsa, presents itself as a historical chronicle describing the various wars and conquests by the Buddhist Sri Lankan dynasty of kings."
  http://atheism.about.com/library/world/KZ/bl_SriLankaBuddhismEarly.htm

  And in Chapter 25, Mahavamsa, we find:

  Arrived at Mahiyangana he overpowered the Damila Chatta. When he had slain the Damilas in that very place he came then to Ambatitthaka, which had a trench leading from the river, and (conquered) the Damila Titthamba; fighting the crafty and powerful foe for four months he (finally) overcame him by cunning,' since he placed his mother in his view. When the mighty man marching thence down (the river) had conquered seven mighty Damila princes in one day and had established peace, he gave over the booty to his troops. Therefore is (the place)called Khemäräma.
  http://www.vipassana.com/resources/mahavamsa/mhv25.php

  The same book I was reading says:

  "Apparently it is legitimate to use someone's mother as a hostage in Buddhism."

  Opinions will be greatly appreciated.

  Thanks,
  Rahula