[Buddha-l] Re: Natural lucidity for Socrates

Dan Lusthaus dlusthau at mailer.fsu.edu
Sun Sep 10 04:42:37 MDT 2006

> <<If we want to keep the parlor game going, we might accuse these Jains of
having poached the idea that we only need as much ground as we are standing
on from Zhuangzi, who says the same thing. Or maybe Zhuangzi got it from
them (or Alexander)?>>

> Yes, but I find Zhuangzi more credible than the at first sight more
selfrighteous Calanus.

Alexander might have as well, since Zhuangzi's take was not an exhortation
to stay put, but precisely the need to move. His version ran more like: the
ground on which you stand (= your *under*-standing) is no larger than your
own feet. But if you then devalue the rest of the world and eliminate it,
how could you walk anywhere?

Dan