[Buddha-l] Re: japanese zen terms: honbun and shusho

Elihu Smith elihusmith at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 9 05:15:46 MDT 2006

In Zen practice approaches such as Eido Shimano
Roshi's one can translate "honbun" as "intrinsic" and
"shusho" as "experiential." As noted, it can also be
"absolute" and "relative" - often these terms are used
when this is related to "The Five Ranks" or "Five
Positions."

Best,

Elihu

http://www.buddhism-dict.net/cgi-bin/xpr-ddb.pl?67.xml+id('b672c-5206')