[Buddha-l] The Shape of Ancient Thought

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Sep 6 16:34:58 MDT 2006

On Wednesday 06 September 2006 14:52, Malcolm Dean wrote:

> Readers should be aware of the larger debate which encompasses the
> questions of culture and cultural transmission, Cognitive Archaeology,
> the transmission of ideas, and memetics (not the same thing).

For most of my academic career I have been astonished at what enormous
conclusions classicists draw from very skimpy evidence. Some of my teachers
seemed bent on showing that anything good in India must have come there from
the Greeks, while others, the reverse Orientalists, seemed just as determined
to show that anything of value in Europe must have come from India. (Some of
my LSD-loving friends were convinced that both Greece and India got
everything of value from Atlantis or Roswell.) My own tendency was to meet
this whole question with a big shrug. (Shrugging has always been my main
source of aerobic exercise, so I do it as often and as vigorously as
circumstances will permit.)

Admittedly, I am a exceptionally poor historian and have never been able to
get a handle on how historians think. I'm even worse at social sciences, As
for Cognitive Archeology, the fact that I've never heard of it is almost
enough to convince me that there is a god who has been protecting me until
now. (The fact that I have now heard of Cognitive Archeology is almost enough
to convince me that my protector god is dead.)

While historical and paleographic ruminations bore me almost as much as
philology, I have to confess to finding philosophical questions always
intriguing. That being the case, I can warm up to people like Mark Siderits
and Jay Garfield and James Duerlinger and Bill Waldron, who discuss Indian
philosophy by bringing in classical, medieval and modern philosophical ideas
for contrast. Trying to figure out to what extent Vasubandhu is a bit like
Hume or Locke or Parfit seems a better use of my time than making wild
guesses about whether the Buddha might have said something that eventually
found its way to Athens in some barely recognizable form.

But one's love of philosophy and disdain for the social sciences is surely
just a matter of personal taste, of no greater significance than the fact
that I love jazz and hate baseball, basketball and even ice hockey.

Speaking of tastes, I am discovering that tastes have changed considerably
during the past forty years or so. I grew up with a generation in which
people read the trial of Socrates and beat their heads in agony that such a
wise and sensible man should meet such an ill fate at the hands of
petty-minded demagogues. (We still cheer on Chavez, Obrador, Castro and
Ahmedinejad as they rail against the idiots who are running and ruining
America and the rest of the world.) Now when I teach Socrates to the current
crop of freshmen, they openly confess they can't stand the guy, because (they
say) they find him arrogant, sarcastic and sacrilegious. (Yes! That's why I
love him! How could anyone NOT love someone who manages to be so brilliantly
arrogant, sarcastic and sacrilegious?)

What is happening to our youth? Is it because they eat 47 tons of sugar by the
time they have hit the age of 18 that they like only people who are cloying
and saccharine? Have they no taste for the sour and the bitter? Can they only
giggle and purr? Can they not scowl and growl?

Now I've gone and worked myself into a fit of vituperative curmudgeonry. I
need to go do some serious shrugging.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy