[Buddha-l] Re: Is there any Buddhist influence on the early Greeks?

Jon Weaver jonsweaver at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 6 09:12:37 MDT 2006

>>>Is there any Buddhist influence on the early Greeks?

  As I completed my master's at St. John's in Eastern Classics, one of my  most accomplished teachers recommended the following, which I have yet  to purchase. I'd be curious to hear what Buddha-L denizens think of  this text.

  The Shape of Ancient Thought: Comparative Studies in Greek and Indian Philosophies
  by Thomas McEvilley

  Promo Blurb: This unparalleled study of early Eastern and Western philosophy  challenges every existing belief about the foundations of Western  civilization. Spanning thirty years of intensive research, this book  proves what many scholars could not explain: that today’s Western world  must be considered the product of both Greek and Indian thought—Western  and Eastern philosophies. Thomas  McEvilley explores how trade, imperialism, and migration currents  allowed cultural philosophies to intermingle freely throughout India,  Egypt, Greece, and the ancient Near East. This groundbreaking reference  will stir relentless debate among philosophers, art historians, and  students.

  Thanks for all of your provocative exchanges,
  Jon Weaver