[Buddha-l] there he goes again (sam harris)

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Oct 30 16:15:54 MST 2006

On Monday 30 October 2006 15:12, Vicente Gonzalez wrote:

> yes, I agree. It is an inference. Although it doesn't invalidate the
> existence of an experience of something which is absent. Do you agree?

I don't know. I can't figure out what you are trying to say. What I was trying
to say is that if one arrives at knowledge by inference, then one is not
arriving at it by experience. So if you are saying that one's inference of
the absence of a dog is experiential knowledge, then I would disagree with
that.

> The experience exists. I don't say that we can experience a dog who is
> not present. Just that we can experience that a dog is not present.

That is precisely what I deny. I agree with Dignaga and Dharmakirti on this
when they say that our knowledge that a dog is not present is not an
experiential knowledge but an inference that involves mental constructions of
the sort that are not present in direct experience.

> I agree. But then, if we cannot establish that the self is present or
> absent, then neither we cannot establish the impossibility of the
> overcoming of suffering.

Right. But then who would try to establish the impossibility of the overcoming
of suffering. That would be overstepping the range of evidence. At most I
should think one would say that there is no evidence to support the dogmatic
claim that suffering can be ended. To say that there is no evidence in
support of P is quite different from saying that there is evidence that
not-P.

> Because we don't know if what is experiencing
> the suffering now, this truly exist.

That is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

>Although also I'm confident that you
> cannot establish the truth of the impossibility of the overcoming of
> suffering.

You're quite right. It is not at all the kind of irresponsible dogmatic claim
I would make, let alone try to establish. I would rigorously question the
claim that suffering can be overcome, because I see no basis for making that
sort of claim. But rigorously questiong a claim is quite different from
trying to establish that claim's contradiction.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy