[Buddha-l] **REALLY** Western Buddhism

Michael LaTorra mlatorra at nmsu.edu
Fri Oct 27 14:55:13 MDT 2006

It seems to me that to adapt Buddhism to Western culture requires a lot more
than simply translating various writings and perhaps altering tradtional garb
and ceremonies. The essential difference between Western culture and the
cultures in which Buddhism incorporated itself over the past two millennia is
this: science.

I commend the Dalai Lama for his support of scientific investigation of
Buddhism meditation practices. He goes a long way toward showing the sort of
openness or liberality that, in my opinion, is one of Buddhism's best
features. However, I was disappointed to see that in his book "The Universe in
a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality" the Dalai Lama
declares his support for a purposeful universe that seems awfully close to
Intelligent Design (for which scientific evidence is almost totally lacking).

Which brings me to Sam Harris. Many people -- even other atheists such as the
Brights group co-founders -- dislike the strident, take-no-prisoners polemics
at which Harris is so adept. Personally, I find his straightforwardness quite
refreshing. The fact that Harris wields Okham's razor against religion like
Mack the Knife while at the same time recognizing the empirically demonstrated
value of meditation practices just pleases me to no end.

Perhaps I feel this way because, as a Zen priest, I am often approached by
people who assume (wrongly) that I must be ideologically on-board with every
cockamamy New Age nonsense that comes down the pike. I cringe. In an attempt
to be polite, however, I seldom do more than express mild disagreement. So I
relish Sam Harris's frontal assault on such nonsense.

As for Curt's ineffectual prayer to Kanzeon on behalf of Sam Harris, I can
only remark: Doesn't this failure tell you something about the effectiveness
of prayer? (See also the recent study showing that heart patients who were
prayed for did **WORSE** than the control group.)

Regards,

Michael LaTorra

mlatorra at nmsu.edu

Department of English