[Buddha-l] there he goes again (sam harris)

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Oct 27 05:45:56 MDT 2006

Richard Hayes wrote:
> On Thursday 26 October 2006 13:53, curt wrote:
>

>> Sam Harris in the Shambhala Sun: "Students of the Buddha are very well
>> placed to further our understanding on this front, but the religion of
>> Buddhism currently stands in their way."
>>

> I couldn't agree more. Sam and Stephen Batchelor and I should maybe think of
> getting together and refusing to start a new religion. But Krishnamurti
> already tried that. It didn't work.

You forgot Toni Packer - she also (didn't) try the same thing - and it
also didn't (not) work for her, too. Also, Joko Beck tried to break with
tradition and ended up starting her own school of Zen. How
(un)traditional of her.

> People are so addicted to religion that
> they can't resist turning just about everything that shows any danger of
> making sense into one.

Perhaps the idea that there is something inherently wrong with "belief"
is just another belief. It kinda sounds like it.

- Curt