[Buddha-l] Dumbo's feather Re:Buddhism and psychoactive substances

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 04:11:49 MDT 2006

2006/10/4, Joy Vriens <joy.vriens at nerim.net>:

>  Bonjour Stefan Detrez,
>
> >My opinion is that knowledge itself is non-active wisdom. It takes
> however
> >know-how, some kind of modus vivendi, to turn this knowledge in wisdom.
> >Knowledge itself doesn't give satisfaction, one has to do something with
> it.
>
> I expect that if there is any wisdom somewhere, it is not something to
> know or to do or to view for that matter. One has been breaking one's teeth
> on a hard nut to crack, hitting one's head against a wall etc. and one
> simply loses interest in it, sometimes suddenly sometimes gradually. One
> surrenders, although the word surrenders implies too much of an effort,
> frustrated will etc. Yes I am mortal, I will grow old and sick, things are
> and go often/always differently than I expect them to be and go etc.

It's not all that sad, as I feel, the way you represent it. The
turning-knowledge-into-wisdom-process is one of trial and error, reflection
and action. It takes a little bit of confidence in one's capacities to make
every step you make on your way in life both firmly and lightly. It reminds
me somehow of my Shotokan Karate practice, especially with the metaphors of
struggle and fight, as found in many Buddhist texts: in Kumite (actual
fighting) you should be agile and stable at the same time. Movements should
be flowing and continous and all of this happens with an alert and relaxed
mind in an almost Zennish kind of 'wherever you go, there you are'-attitude.

Stefan

Born, never asked.

- Laurie Anderson