[Buddha-l] persecuting Christians in Tang China

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Oct 2 20:55:57 MDT 2006

On Monday 02 October 2006 20:39, Richard Hayes wrote:

> The story I told my students was just about exactly the same one you just
> recounted.

Except that my source distinctly said that the persecutor was Empress Wu and
that her victimswere Christians,not Buddhists.

> We probaby got if from the same source. It has been at least
> fifteen years since I lectured on that topic, and my memory is fallible.

Actually, it was more like twenty-two years ago. My lecture notes from then
are all hand-written. I didn't start using a computer to write out lectures
until 1988. I'm not sure what sources I was using in those days. All I know
is that I was not in the habit of making things up, so I'm sure the
information (or misinformation) was taken (or plagiarized) from one of the
books in the East Asian library at University of Toronto. Maybe some clever
Klug who doesn't have a life can find the source I used and report back to
us.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy