[Buddha-l] persecuting Christians in Tang China

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Oct 2 20:39:32 MDT 2006

On Sunday 01 October 2006 08:01, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> So, Richard, what exactly is the Buddhist attitude toward falsely
> slandering the entire tradition, and disseminating that to unsuspecting
> students (and buddha-lers)?

The story I told my students was just about exactly the same one you just
recounted. We probaby got if from the same source. It has been at least
fifteen years since I lectured on that topic, and my memory is fallible.

I have no idea what the Buddhist attitude toward faulty memory is. My own
attitude is that misremembering an unimportant detail in casual conversation
on on a recreational forum such as buddha-l is not quite as serious as
intentional slander, though I have to admire your persistent attempts to
magnify my slightest mistake into a major character flaw.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy