[Buddha-l] question: nirvana in early Buddhism

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Wed Nov 22 14:38:53 MST 2006

In a message dated 11/22/2006 2:13:52 P.M. Central Standard Time,
bathieme at hotmail.com writes:

am sure  there is a diversity of views on this topic within early Buddhism,
but I'm  trying to understand the gist. Is "nirvana without
remainder/nonabiding  nirvana" as conceived by early Buddhists a cessation of
consciousness in  the sense that awareness is obliterated? Or are we to
undrestand that it  is a cessation of personal consciousness, that perhaps
has the flavor of  being united with a universal field in some way? I
wouldn't be surprised  if the latter is too Vedic, but the former sounds
awfully  nihilistic.

Buddhadasa Bhikkhu and some contemporaries interpret the Pali Canon's
rebirth teaching as meaning moment to moment cessation of conscious and  moment to
moment rebirth of a new state of mind. For example, one moment I am  angry. The
next moment I am peaceful. If I see things clearly and make the right
decision, I am reborn in the next moment as free of suffering. The Buddha  clearly
meant this moment to moment cessation and rebirth to include those after
physical death.

Jack