[Buddha-l] The root of ignorance?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Nov 22 10:33:10 MST 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 04:40, Jim Peavler wrote:

> I hope this doesn't kick off that awful (in the old sense) discussion
> of the presence of absence again. Or was it the absence of presents?

Jumpin' Jesus, I hope there's not going to be an absence of presents. It's
Shopping Season! And if we don't all go out and buy lots of presents, the
terrorists will have won!

But on the matter of ignorance, I don't think that Buddhists have ever
regarded avidyaa as the absence of information. Rather, they have tended to
see it as the presence of misinformation. It's not the absence of knowing
reality that gets us into dukkha (and other forms of deep doodoo), but the
presence of various delusions. This is not hard to grasp, really. Just think
of American politics. It's not the absence of Democrats that causes all our
woe and bale, but the presents of Republicans.

But then I'm mostly just stirring up shit today, so it's probably best to
ignore me.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy