[Buddha-l] Mirror in Kegon

Tom Short T.Short at herts.ac.uk
Mon Nov 13 05:48:33 MST 2006

Michel,

I am wondering if this refers to the
demonstration by Fa-tsang (643 – 712), the Third
Hua-yen (J: Kegon) Patriarch to his Imperial
patron the Empress Wu Tse-t’ien (625-705) that
simulated the ‘Jewelled Net of Indra’ and
demonstrated the idea of 'interpenetration' using
a series of 10 mirrors (rather than 2) facing
each other, including one above and below and one
at each of the eight cardinal points, surrounding
a statue of the Buddha illuminated with a flaming
torch in a darkened room. In his own words:

'
in each and every reflection of any mirror you
will find all the reflections of all the other
mirrors, together with the specific Buddha image
in each, without omission or misplacement. The
principle of interpenetration and containment is
clearly shown by this demonstration. Right here
we see an example of one in all and all in one –
the mystery of realm embracing realm ad infinitum
is thus revealed.
These infinite reflections of
different realms now simultaneously arise without
the slightest effort
' (Quoted in Chang, 1971, p.24)

Chang, G.C.C., (1971), The Buddhist Teaching of
Totality: Philosophy of Hwa Yen Buddhism, Penn
State University Press, Pennsylvania.

See also: (Cook is particularly good)

Cleary, T., (1983), Entry Into the Inconceivable
– An Introduction to Hua-yen Buddhism, University
of Hawai’i Press, Honolulu, Hawai’i.

Cook, F.H., (1977), Hua-yen Buddhism: The Jewel
Net of Indra, Penn State University Press, Pennsylvania.