[Buddha-l] New pagoda with relics being built in Mumbai

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Mon Nov 6 14:43:50 MST 2006

Yes, classically in Han Chinese civilisation, at least,women were intrinsically impure because they both shed blood at menstruation and also at childbirth. Their destiny because of these impurities, according to common folk beliefs, was hell until they eventually got reborn as men. No matter that their fertility function was crucial to produce male progeny for the family and clan lines.
This is just one of many possible illustrations of my personal anthropological tenet that all culture, except for whatever of it is based on reason and rational observation--useful technology, etc-- is delusion.  And even the latter gets surrounded by delusional thinking as well. See, Richard's post on Bush and torture.
Joanna