[Buddha-l] Photographs of buddha-l regulars

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Nov 1 10:33:17 MST 2006

Dear denizens,

It always amazes me how little resemblance there is between how people
actually look and how I imagine them to look on the basis of hearing them on
the radio or reading their messages on buddha-l. I couldn't resist taking a
peek at Erik Hoogscarspel's website (http://www.xs4all.nl/~jehms ) and
looking at his photograph. The photo did not look at all like the image in my
mind, except for the very general feature of a pleasantness that I knew had
to be there.

I have looked in vain for on-line photos of a few other of my favorite
buddha-l contributors. For reason's I'll never understand, a search for a
photo of Lance Cousins turned up, among other things, a picture of Jane
Goodall kissing a chimpanzee---which makes me wonder just exactly how Google
works.

Right next in queue behind the mystery of Google is the mystery of how we form
images in our minds of people we've never met. For several years I
corresponded with Jim Peavler and had a picture in my mind of someone that I
now realize was a likeness of Dennis Weaver; I assume the rough similarity in
sound between Peavler and Weaver was behind that. When I finally met Jim I
discovered that he doesn't look much like Dennis Weaver, and he learned that
I look more like Andrew Weil than like Richard Pryor. Neither of us would
have picked the other out in a crowd on the basis of our preconceptions.

One thing I have spent too many idle moments doing is trying to imagine what
the Buddha looked like. I'm guessing he may have been an Indian, so I like to
go through my mental photo gallery of Indian friends I have had over the
years, and then through a gallery of Indian celebrities. For some reason, I
cannot find any matches. Then I try to imagine what the Buddha's voice
sounded like, or what his demeanor was like. He usually comes out in my
imagination with a fiery personality and a scathing wit, someone always at
the ready to cut a fool into mincemeant. That's how he always sounds to me
when I hear the Pali canon in my mind's ear. Starting from there I go to a
voice that would fit such a demeanor with some success. But the face always
eludes me, as does the body. Did he look something like Gandhi, or Nehru, or
Ambedkar? Or was he more like Keannu Reeves or maybe Ravi Shankar or Sri
Aurobindo or Swami Vivekananda?

Or was the Buddha even an Indian? After all, we have excellent iconographic
evidence that he looked like a slender Greek god, or a chubby Korean. In
another century or so I'm sure we'll have iconographic evidence that he
looked like a Dane, perhaps a bit like Ole Nydahl.

I'm guessing we'll never know for sure what the Buddha looked like, because he
probably instructed Ananda to break the cameras of all the paparazzi who
followed him and other samana celebrities around the Ganges valley. Which
makes me think he probably looked a bit like Frank Sinatra. With a turban in
place of a Fedora.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy