[Buddha-l] Re: Was Buddha a Buddhist

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Fri May 26 08:57:34 MDT 2006

On Friday, May 26, 2006, Jamie Hubbard wrote:

> [...] any Buddhist teacher worth her salt ought to be
> able  to inspire an encounter with the Buddha through
> a good story about Sakyamuni, no?

   I can't agree more with the points you rise.

   I  think  that  it's  important  to know the role of
narrative  in  the  traditions. I have experienced that
good  histories  use  to  inspire  quite more than nice
thoughts.  That's  why  I  ask my students to read Chan
master's  biographies.  For  example,  when  they  read
Xuyun's  autobiography,  they  get a feeling of what is
real  Chan,  and  they  can feel inspired to follow the
master's steps.

   Could  you share with us some of the book titles you
had in mind? BTW, does someone know some good new books
on  Chan  or  the  Chinese tradition? I think that it's
good to share this kind of info.

   I  don't  read much about Buddhism nowadys. The last
Buddhist thing I have read is _Hoofprint of the Ox,_ by
master  Sheng-yen, what seems to me a nice introduction
to   Chinese  Zen.  I  have  also  ordered  a  copy  of
_Swampland  Flowers:  The  Letters  and Lectures of Zen
Master  Ta  Hui,_ the classic J.C. Cleary's translation
now available again.

   Best wishes,

   Beni