[Buddha-l] Re: Was Buddha a Buddhist

Jamie Hubbard jhubbard at email.smith.edu
Fri May 26 08:08:29 MDT 2006

Mike Austin wrote:

> In message <76932664.20060525223523 at kungzhi.org>, Benito Carral
> <bcarral at kungzhi.org> writes
>

>>   In  short, I don't think that the Buddha was a great
>> innovator  at  all,  but a very charismatic, pragmatic,
>> and ethical guy of the forest scene.
>>
> One knows the Buddha by knowing the dharma.  Stories from history play
> a very minor role in this.  The difference is like that between a
> Buddhist and a Buddhologist. Whereas it could be debatable whether the
> Buddha was a Buddhist, I would say he was certainly not a Buddhologist.

I think that most contemporary Buddhologists would say that Buddhists,
from the very beginning, have always known the Buddha by, well, knowing
the Buddha. The importance of his physical presence in helping his
followers to their own awakening has been well established. After his
passing, the "absence" of the charismatic guy of the of the forest scene
was made "present" in several ways-- including the continued presence of
other charismatic guys of the forest, but also through relics, stupas,
images, and the like-- a healthy tradition of encountering the Buddha
that continues throughout the Buddhist world to this day. Some would
even go further and say that it was the Buddhologists (that is, academic
monks of the vihara as opposed to the charismatic and ethical guys of
the forest) who made the Dharma the stand-in (the presence) for the
absent Buddha.. Works by John Strong, Don Swearer, David Eckel, and
especially Reggie Ray all demonstrate this. New work by Andy Rotman on
the workings of prasada make this very clear too. Of course, if you
spend much time with Buddhists you too will know just how many other
ways than through the Dharma one can know the Buddha. And the stories,
of course, are all part of this too. . . any Buddhist teacher worth her
salt ought to be able to inspire an encounter with the Buddha through a
good story about Sakyamuni, no? I certainly have experienced this often
enough. . .

Jamie Hubbard