[Buddha-l] Was Buddha a Buddhist

Blumenthal, James james.blumenthal at oregonstate.edu
Tue May 23 08:42:27 MDT 2006

Hi Joel,
When I said that he was radical even in the context of the sramana movement, I was thinking primarily of the doctrines of anatman and impermanence.  While many sramanas were focussing their practices on realizing their true atman in order to find some union with Brahman, the unchanging ultimate reality, the Buddha taught that such an atman does not exist, nor does an unchanging Brahman.  I think Mahavira was also quite radical at that time.  Perhaps that is part of the reason the paths that these two figures taught persisted when most faded away.
Jim
P.S.  I think that the Buddha's  "middle way" approach to asceticism was also probably quite radical at the time when many sramanas were practicing pretty extreme forms of asceticsim.