[Buddha-l] Was Buddha a Buddhist

Blumenthal, James james.blumenthal at oregonstate.edu
Mon May 22 22:37:30 MDT 2006

I think the question of the Buddha being Buddhist is entirely different from the question of Jesus being Christian.  Jesus was a Jew.  In fact, he was a Rabbi.  He never left the faith.  He never spoke of starting  a new religion.  Certainly he was critical of certain elements of the Jewish power elite, but that does not mean he was intending to start a new religion.  Christianity and the theology of a messiah dying for the sins of humanity was a creation of the early community of Jesus' followers in the first century after his death.

As for the Buddha being a Buddhist, I think the question is sort of irrelavent from a Buddhist perspective. We can't really make the determination based on refuge, because once one is a Buddha, there is no need for refuge.  Refuge is taken *until* one achieves Buddhahood.  Unlike Jesus, the Buddha was introducing a new spiritual path. He was heterodoxical not only in the face of Vedic Brahminism, but even in the context of the sramana movement, his worldview and approach was quite radical.
Jim Blumenthal

James Blumenthal
Dept. of Philosophy
Oregon State University