[Buddha-l] In the footsteps of Xuan Zhang

Alexander Mayer amayer at uiuc.edu
Thu May 11 12:02:50 MDT 2006

Transliteration from Chinese ...

The Monkey book by Wu Cheng'en ßd©"ƶ (ca.
1500-1582) is Xi you ji, Records of Travels in
the West

"Xuanzang's" book is Xiyu ji, Records of the Western Territories

Observe that in Wade-Giles the yu4 in Xiyu is yü; the you in Monkey is you2.

Best -- Alexander Mayer

>Dan Lusthaus wrote,
>
>>>Just so I don't get tangled up in these names again, did Xuanzang write
>>>Si-Yu-Ki?  Does this translate as Buddhist Records of Western Countries or
>>>Records of Western Countries?  Many thanks!
>
>>Si-yu-ki is an archaic transliteration of what in pinyin would be Xiyuji, in
>>Wade-Giles Hsi Yu Chi.
>
>Dan is, of course, right.  Silly me !   However,
>the "Monkey" novel is also transliterated as
>Si-yu-ki = Xiyuji / Hsi-yu-chi, but then the
>underlying character for "yu" is different --
>something like "travel, wander".   This title
>can be translated as "Journey to the West", on
>which Wikipedia has a thorough article.
>
>Best wishes,
>Stephen Hodge

UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS at Urbana-Champaign
LAS -- EALC/RLST
3016 FLB, MC-146
707 S. Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL 61801