[Buddha-l] In the footsteps of Xuan Zhang

Stephen Hodge s.hodge at padmacholing.freeserve.co.uk
Thu May 11 11:42:57 MDT 2006

Dan Lusthaus wrote,

>> Just so I don't get tangled up in these names again, did Xuanzang write
>> Si-Yu-Ki?  Does this translate as Buddhist Records of Western Countries
>> or
>> Records of Western Countries?  Many thanks!

> Si-yu-ki is an archaic transliteration of what in pinyin would be Xiyuji,
> in
> Wade-Giles Hsi Yu Chi.

Dan is, of course, right.  Silly me !   However, the "Monkey" novel is also
transliterated as Si-yu-ki = Xiyuji / Hsi-yu-chi, but then the underlying
character for "yu" is different -- something like "travel, wander".   This
title can be translated as "Journey to the West", on which Wikipedia has a
thorough article.

Best wishes,
Stephen Hodge