[Buddha-l] Non-dual scholars?

STEPHEN BAMBER 05010715 at hope.ac.uk
Thu Mar 23 01:28:24 MST 2006

Thanks for this reference, exactly the kind of work I was after.  Thanks
also to Erik for the Frists Staal reference, and the pointer towards
Eckhart , noting the Greek influence.  Most helpful.

Of course 'non-duality' is just another code-word for something...my own
mediocre meditative experience within the Dzogchen tradition leads me to
suspect that there is something fundamental, and dare I say it,
universal, about this 'unique state', and hermeneutics of other
traditions might suggest this is the 'same' experience. Indeed the
language of Dzogchen and Mahamudra repeatedly refers to the 'natural
state', or 'naked awareness'., 'unborn awareness', 'ordinary mind',
indicating a primoridal quality, certainly nothing 'unusual'.

Personally speaking, a most cogent descriptor of this 'absence of self'
I found in James H. Austins magisterial 'Zen and the Brain' (MIT Press,
1999, no page ref to hand).  Descibing his own 'satori' experience as a
"Panoramic Perspective".  I understood this quite literally, as in 360
degree panorama...relating to my lived experience of this 'dropping out
of the conceptual self'.  What is left...is wide open, unrestricted, a
literal 'panaoramic perspective'.

One of the reasons I was initailly attracted to the dzogchen because of
its  relaxed  use of  language to try and describe something that really
resits all decribing.  I was always verey impressed by this
quasis-scientific approach.

With thanks, and best wishes,

Stephen J. Bamber

>>> rbzeuschner at adelphia.net 03/23/06 3:12 AM >>>
No one has mentioned David Loy's "Nonduality: A Study in Comparative
Philosophy" (Yale, 1987) where the introductory chapter separates out
several different kinds of non-duality (subject/object, knower/known,
atman/brahman, etc.) and then goes on to discuss "nondual perception,"
"nondual action" (Taoism) and "nondual thinking" (prajna).
It might be relevant to the discussion.
Bob Zeuschner
Dept. of Philosophy

buddha-l mailing list