[Buddha-l] Buddha, an 'emotional weakling'? What are the "joys

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Jun 23 19:26:35 MDT 2006

>From John Whalen-Bridge:

Poet Gary Snyder quotes Dogen's "Painted RIce Cake" parable at the beginning
of MOUNTAINS AND RIVERS WITHOUT END to bring art/illusion/aesthetic pleasure
back into the picture.  Dogen's argues in this way: those who say a painted
rice cake cannot satisfy hunger are wrong, since EVERYTHING is a "painted
rice cake," and our hunger, too, is composed of pigments, shapes,
constructions.  thus, only a painted rice cake can satisfy hunger.  The
general understanding of Buddhism extrapolated from such texts points toward
compassion and away from ascetic denial of pleasure.  To some Buddhists,
this is an offensive revision.  Thanissaro Bhikku in TRICYCLE referred to
this as "Romantic Buddhism."

I'm interested in hearing more about textual authority on this. My
supposition is that Pali / elder Buddhism will consistently disparage
singing and dancing, whereas mahayana sutras will complicate matters and
will ameliorate monastic/ascetic denial with a notion of
pleasure-without-attachment.  Which makes art possible, again.
Revisiting a former message on aesthetics and the Pali suttas: