[Buddha-l] Buddha, an 'emotional weakling'? What are the "joys

John Whalen-Bridge ellwbj at nus.edu.sg
Fri Jun 23 12:35:21 MDT 2006

Dear Benito,  I'm currently working on Buddhism and American writing, including the ways in which writers redefine Buddhism to make it bohemian and romantic.  Could you explain more deeply about the _uposatha_ precept against singing and dancing?

Poet Gary Snyder quotes Dogen's "Painted RIce Cake" parable at the beginning of MOUNTAINS AND RIVERS WITHOUT END to bring art/illusion/aesthetic pleasure back into the picture.  Dogen's argues in this way: those who say a painted rice cake cannot satisfy hunger are wrong, since EVERYTHING is a "painted rice cake," and our hunger, too, is composed of pigments, shapes, constructions.  thus, only a painted rice cake can satisfy hunger.  The general understanding of Buddhism extrapolated from such texts points toward compassion and away from ascetic denial of pleasure.  To some Buddhists, this is an offensive revision.  Thanissaro Bhikku in TRICYCLE referred to this as "Romantic Buddhism."

I'm interested in hearing more about textual authority on this. My supposition is that Pali / elder Buddhism will consistently disparage singing and dancing, whereas mahayana sutras will complicate matters and will ameliorate monastic/ascetic denial with a notion of pleasure-without-attachment.  Which makes art possible, again.

But then, Buddhism is not a "religion of the Book," so textual authority is balanced against the "seek your salvation as best you can" final advice.  That kind of pragmatism, I'd think, opens the door to all the other pathways (from the Mahayana point of view) but waters things down (from the Theravada point of view).  Then one can juxtapose theory and practice in even the most othodox present settings by looking at temple art, the pleasures of ritual, and so forth.

I'd love to hear from all you smart people about this.   Cheers,  John Whalen-Bridge

From: Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org  Subject: [Buddha-l] Re: The Buddha,     an 'emotional weakling'? What are
   Then,   in  relation  with  salsa,  you  could  also remember the seventh _uposatha_ precept, "the avoidance
of   song,   dance,   and   other   forms   of   public entertainment.".....