[Buddha-l] Re: The Buddha, an 'emotional weakling'?

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Wed Jun 21 12:57:28 MDT 2006

On Wednesday, June 21, 2006, Stefan wrote:

> Reading an introduction to ethics, I encountered this
> citation on the Stoic. [...] from John Hospers [...]

   I  would  like  to  know what John understans by the
"joy  of  living."  I  would  tend  to think that he is
referring  to  all  that  klesa-oriented  entertainment
aimend to anesthetize ourselves, the kind of "joy" that
makes  antidepressives  drugs  one  of  the  best  sold
medicaments,  that  destroys one of two marriages, that
makes  ours  an  individualist and consumerist society,
that   makes   pornography   and  prostitution  a  most
profitable  business,  that is destroying the Earth and
letting a lof of people die everyday without a thought,
that makes individuals feel alone and with empty lives.
So yes, I think that the Buddha was not tough enough in
order to enjoy such a wonderful Hollywood-promoted "joy
of  living,"  maybe  he  was a bit too much emotionally
aware.

   Best wishes,

--
Benito Carral