[Buddha-l] To whom should teachings be given

dvf at umich.edu dvf at umich.edu
Tue Jun 6 15:24:10 MDT 2006

Mike Austin wrote:

> Can anyone shed some light on the following verses from Shantideva
> Ch. V >concerning suitable candidates for teachings. I would be most
> interested to >know the origin and the meaning behind them.

> 88
> The Dharma should not be explained to those who lack respect,
> To those who, like sick men, wear cloth around their heads,
> To those holding umbrellas, sticks or weapons,
> To those with covered heads,

> 89
> Nor to a woman unaccompanied by a man.
> The vast and profound should not be taught to lesser beings,
> (Although) I should always pay equal respect
> To the Dharmas of the lesser and higher beings.

Mike,

These are among several verses in Chapter 5, including verse 85 and
88-98 that are taken, as Stephen Hodge wrote, from the Pratimoksa, or
monastic code. I'm not sure what version they are taken from, but
Crosby and Skilton note that they appear as quotations from some
Mahayana sutras in the Siksasamuccaya.

They also mention that these verses are not present in the version of
the Bodhicaryavatara found at the Dun-Huang caves, so they may have
been added to the Sanskrit version at some later time.

In any case, they should be read from the persepective of the monastic
order. Thus, a monk should not teach to a woman without another man
present in order to guard the celibacy of the monk, and to maintain the
moral decorum of the meeting.

The Sanskrit commentary explains "lesser beings" as "those people whose
intellects are not prepared (for the teaching)" and "whose aspirations
are low (hina)." It is hard to know if anyone specifically is meant.
I'm not sure which translation you are reading, but I would translate
the last sentence of verse 89 as follows: "The inferior and the
superior teachings (dharmas) should be treated with the same respect."

The commentary says that "the inferior and superior teachings" here
refer to the teachings of the Disciples' Vehicle and to those of the
Great Vehicle, respectively.

In regard to the first verse, I'm not sure who is being referred to
when it speaks of not teaching the dharma to those people who wear
turbans even when they are healthy. Perhaps it could refer to other
ascetics? However, it seems that the dharma should be taught by the
monks to those who approach in a respectful and nonviolent fashion.

Best regards,

Dave Fiordalis