[Buddha-l] Re: Where does authority for "true" Buddhism come from?

Benito Carral bcarral at kungzhi.org
Mon Jan 30 08:02:04 MST 2006

On Monday, January 30, 2006, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Sure   this   rebirth-consciousness   has   to  exist
> independent  of  a  body, independent of anything for
> that  matter,  being  the  carrier  of  karma between
> someone who doesn't yet exist and someone who doesn't
> exist anymore.

   I     don't     know     why    you    think    that
rebirth-consciousness  must be independent of anything,
since   that   claim  is  contrary  to  the  teachings.
Moreover, if that rebirth-consciousness you are talking
about  depends  on  someone's  karma,  it's clearly not
self-existent.   BTW,   according   to  the  teachings,
consciousness  are  not bearers of anything, but a name
given to a set of impermanent properties.

   Best wishes,

   Beni