[Buddha-l] Meditating Buddha

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Fri Jan 20 08:38:39 MST 2006

I think a lot of the responses that have been given already are good -
especially Richard Nance's. But there are two side-issues that I think
are important:

(1) Many seated depictions of the Buddha are actually "teaching" Buddhas
as much as or even more than they are "meditating" Buddhas. And at least
in the Zen tradition this distinction is completely obliterated because
teachers often teach while seated in zazen - if one were to look at them
you couldn't tell if they were teaching or "just" meditating.

(2) Originally there were no depictions of the Buddha at all. These only
came later - I believe the first Buddha sculptures are associated with
early Mahayana at the furthest reaches of Buddhism's early Western
expansion (Bactria/Afghanistan). This would associate the origin of
Buddhist sculpture with a much broader phenomenon - the rapid changes in
the visual arts and especially sculpture that were going on in that time
and place.

- Curt