[Buddha-l] Meditating Buddha

Stefan Detrez stefan.detrez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 02:37:35 MST 2006

Stephen Hodge, wrote:

> However, one can wonder WHY a Buddha has to meditate
>
> I suspect your question might be inappropriate.  Is it not likely that the
> default state for a Buddha is "meditation"(dhyana/samdhi/samapatti)
> ?  Don't
> forget the connection between "maunya" and "muni". This could give rise to
> yet another discussion of the great dhyana v. insight debate.

Meditation is the eighth limb of the Eightfold Path, which is 'the medicine'
- as popular exegesis has it - for eradicating the root of suffering. If
meditation would be a default state for a Buddha, then popping Prozac as a
jobless person comes close to being a Buddha, ironically.
Maybe there has slipped a contradiction in the behaviour of the Buddha
(don't ban me for this remark!), who states that meditation, when having
lead to enlightenment, gives permanent results, and yet meditates to achieve
a temporary state of bliss.

Cheers,

Stefan