[Buddha-l] gorgeous sung version of Heart Sutra

Joy Vriens joy.vriens at nerim.net
Fri Jan 13 02:45:33 MST 2006

Hi Dante,

I was trying to be ironic, but sometimes I don't know where my irony
stops or begins. I purposely didn't put a smiley :-). It is very hard
not to, I admire Richard for that.

> Noone is criticising GMR for finding a cute girlfriend.

Yes, she is very cute. And I am quite admirative of GMR, I hope one day
he will find the limits (or total absence thereof) he seems to be seeking.

> The problem (as far
> as I can glean from the voluminous thread on Esangha) is that his
> ordinations at this point are not kosher (to mix metaphors) due to his
> having a girlfriend which (unless I am mistaken) is not allowed in the
> Vinaya.

It seems that the abbot who gave me ordination years and years back (I
have given back my robes since) was himself not entirely kosher, but
others say these are only filthy rumors. I myself was probably not
entirely kosher either during that ordination, because of an exquisite
naked shoulder of a female co-ordinee. Some women are irresistible with
a shaven head. Even the abbot said she was very cute.

> Apparently, if he actually has realized Generation Stage, then its
> OK for him to keep his robes and have a girlfriend, but unless he levitates
> or makes the sun stop in the sky noone knows if he actually has attained
> this, therefore noone knows if he's still a monk or not, and can therefore
> give ordinations or not.

I don't see how that sort of miracles could be a valid reason. If you
promise to keep certain vows, all you need to do is to keep them. You
can use all sort of diversion tactics, but if you don't keep the vows
you promised to keep, for whatever reason, then you are not consistent.

> Or something like that. It seems awefully
> complicated. Whatever. I'm just glad the nice lady recorded the Heart Sutra
> in Sanskrit.

Yes, but now I know she sang with a Bengali accent, I am thinking less
of it.

Joy